Welcome to Country: An Introduction to our First peoples for young Australians by Marcia Langton
Marcia Langton: Welcome to Country schools edition is essential reading for every Australian high school student who wants to learn more about the culture that has thrived here for over 50,000 years. In this schools edition, author Professor Marcia Langton expands on the educational information from the first edition. Part One of the original book has been reworked, including topics/chapters on Indigenous prehistory, culture, language, kinship, art and performance, storytelling, native title, the Stolen Generations and NAIDOC week. The book also includes a wealth of completely new content:
- New chapter on Indigenous knowledge, covering everything from bush medicine to astrology.
- Extended chapter on Indigenous art, including key copyright legal cases.
- New chapter on looking to the future for Indigenous Australia, including the Uluru Statement from the Heart.
- Cultural awareness chapter refocused from the original book's travel angle.
- References including a list of websites and further references as recommended by Professor Marcia Langton.
Detailed teachers' notes that explain how to apply the book to a range of subjects for Years 7 through 10 can be downloaded online through the Hardie Grant website.
Cover artwork by Archibald-finalist Blak Douglas.