Dear Koori Curriculum,
I love your site, well done. I am wondering if you can give me some advice or point me in the right direction.
I would like to know the protocols around students writing Aboriginal Dreaming Stories etc. and using Aboriginal ideas for creating art works. Eg using symbols, hand prints, dot paintings, etc.
I get very nervous about doing the wrong thing.
Many thanks, Natasha
Thanks for reaching out. We have a few guides available on our website which I think will assist in developing your understanding in this space.
1) You can access our free guide "What Educators Should Consider Before Sharing Aboriginal Dreaming Stories” here: https://kooricurriculum.com/blogs/news/what-educators-should-consider-before-sharing-dreaming-stories
I think what is particularly important for you to be to be aware of is that the Dreaming is not a fable or made up story. Its our peoples spiritual beliefs, so in relation to your question I dont believe it would be appropriate for children to create their own Dreaming narrative.
In comparison I personally wouldn’t encourage children to write their own bible story.
2) Additionally we have a series of free blogs that we’ve created which share information to consider regarding respectful art practices. These include:
- How do we use Aboriginal art? https://kooricurriculum.com/blogs/news/how-do-we-use-aboriginal-art
- The Do’s and Don’ts when it comes to Aboriginal art https://kooricurriculum.com/blogs/news/the-do-s-and-don-ts-when-it-comes-to-aboriginal-art
- What do you really know about dot painting? https://kooricurriculum.com/blogs/news/what-do-you-really-know-about-dot-painting
- Can non-indigenous people do Aboriginal art? https://kooricurriculum.com/blogs/news/can-non-indigenous-people-do-aboriginal-art
- Illustrations as a spring board for learning https://kooricurriculum.com/blogs/news/illustrations-as-springboards-for-learning
Whilst I think a lot of the information you are seeking will be covered in the above resources you my also like to download a copy of our free protocols guide: https://kooricurriculum.com/blogs/news/aboriginal-protocols
Additionally, if you are wanting professional development in this space we run regular live webinars on Aboriginal Art. Our time table and offerings can be found here: https://kooricurriculum.com/pages/live-webinars-with-jess-pd